While preparing for dinner at home the other day, I was contemplating what to make with what we had on hand. Of course we always have some kind of smoked meat on hand. Here's a recipe that I put together on the fly that got rave reviews:
Brisket Mexican Gumbo
- leftover Brisket (we had about a pound, which made a very meaty gumbo)
- 1green pepper, diced
- 1 diced medium onion
- olive oil
- about a quart of tomato juice (4 cups) - more if you want this to come out like a soup
- a pint of diced tomatoes (or 15 ounce can)
- 1 cup corn - fresh or frozen
- 1 can of black beans - drained and rinsed
- 2-3 T chili powder to taste
- 1 cup rice
Saute peppers and onions in oil until tender. Add remaining ingredients except rice and bring to boil. Add rice and cook until tender.
If desired, add additional preferred seasonings our brisket covered the salt, pepper, cayenne, etc... Garnish with salsa, sour cream, and cheese.
We found this was even better the next day!!